I join some internet forum discussion. Mainly forums that talking about programming. I met a lot of people in that virtual world : young, old, normal, or weirdo. I found some closed friends there too – that from initial conversation we are bonded and generates many projects. I found this is a trully good example of international-collaboration that I might apply them in the art project someday. But my post here is not talking about that collaboration. I want to talk about my observation of particular attitude that I hope my fellow designer/artist can learn from that.
True story: this kid – twenty something is a real prodigy in Flex programming but lack of experience and attitude – that make him a trully precocious (pr**k) kid. He likes blabering his mouth and jump into conversation without any experience of online manner. Sadly his solution in Flex are usually correct.
He just finished his mum’s friend website for one hundred dollar, because He doesn’t like the fact that his mum’s friend went to design studio before, and was charged twenty times of what he was paid. I checked the work and I think It’s not bad at all. So the story goes. A week after that, he complained in the forum that his mum’s friend is so stupid because She doesn’t know how to make URL Link! And a week after that, another complaint..on and on. Now I guess you know how the story ends.
Running (Web) Design Services are very tricky when we have to compete with some smart-arse who thinks that web-design is only about “creating a website.” It is very narrow-minded concept but sadly you can find this low-brow solutions everywhere in the internet.
On the opposite of this, I found there’s a polar where some designers are over-analyze of simple solutions that client needs. I used to subscribe design magazine with aim to find enlightment when my idea ran out. I have to say, the look of the magazine is really top-notch but everytime I started reading any of the article, my head start pounding because they use too much intelectual cliche.
In the preceeding of my excitement of web 2.0 that will heavily embrace the existence of Mashups, I always have notion in my mind that It will create those type of “designer” who will always undercut the process by saying “I Can Do It For Less Than That.” However, I think this is a normal side-effect, because those Mashups are free. In wishfull-thingking, this is really great because it will teach everyone to be “internet-literate.”
But design solutions is NOT only about creating website in less than 10 minutes. It carries integral part in consumer behaviour, which is branding and positioning. So, if we, as a designer, can look beyond the instant solutions that’s been offered, we trully understand what client want. And with the web.2.0 that have already arrived we should embrace, adapt and execute it beautifully in the good Design (D is intended written with Capital letter).
The Solemn Solitude
- Ketika Waktu Menunjukkan Pukul Nol Posted on: July 29, 2011
- Engkau Menjadi Semua Hal Yang Kau Benci Posted on: July 21, 2011
- Terali Posted on: July 16, 2011
- Pijar Posted on: July 14, 2011
- In the River of Believe Posted on: July 12, 2011
- Di Tepi Sungai Iman Posted on: July 11, 2011
- Tikus Posted on: June 24, 2011
- Arti Posted on: June 23, 2011
- Musabab Kebodohanmu Posted on: June 22, 2011
- Ladang Yang Terbakar Posted on: May 28, 2011
- Selasih Posted on: May 26, 2011
- Segi Tiga Posted on: May 23, 2011
- Sungai Kedengkian Posted on: May 23, 2011
- Engkau Yang Pergi Posted on: May 3, 2011
- Kita Tunggu Cinta Jatuh di Ujung Dunia Posted on: May 2, 2011
- Sangsi Posted on: April 29, 2011
- La Pluie du Matin Posted on: April 28, 2011
- Tanda Centang Posted on: April 27, 2011
- Bahagia Itu... Posted on: April 25, 2011
- Tugu Posted on: April 22, 2011
- Puan Posted on: April 21, 2011
- Rama Obong Posted on: April 20, 2011
- Lagu Rindu Seorang Petualang Posted on: April 19, 2011
- Di Suatu April Pekan Ketiga Posted on: April 18, 2011
- Di Pantaimu Posted on: April 18, 2011