There are 2 kind of cliché in art. One is this cliché, and the other one; I’d like to call it a wangsta – art with intellectual cliché. The first one is usually so banal and overuse that is so predictable and rarely challenge a thorough intellectual interpretation.
Wangsta art is a hybrid of the first one. The difference is that, these kind of art is so turgid and cowardly hide behind the facade of intellectual terminology. Usually the descriptions of the body of its art are written in an over-analytical style. The interpretations are bias and done by networks of experts that don’t dare to speak the truth. They have a collection of thick thesaurus and were used to confuse the appreciation of its bad art because “you don’t get it”.
Wangsta art bothers me. They have a little empathy for non-English speaking audiences that want to appreciate its (menial) works and cashing up on language confusion. Playing up with confusion is cheating and betrays the essence of art that supposedly arouse the existence of intellectual. It is a double confusion.
Wangsta art is not the opposite of mainstream. Mainstream is great and I really respect them. Mainstream is honest in its simplicity, while wangsta art is crude but scared to admit its limitation.
Wangsta artists are very unskilful and careless in using the tools of its expression. They are so murky rather than vivid. Myth and Mystique also part of the trick and they hail them as a religion.
Wangsta artists refuse ends. They are swimming in the sea of self-indulgence, and upset when the sponsor reminds them that the bill is overdue. And when they have to submit it, it’s only a result of things over one night burning midnight’s oil – mediocre – and they call it works in progress.
Wangsta artists like self-torment in the name of process. They always carry bleeding-heart emotion over shallow and easy task. They wear the emperor’s new clothes called “untitled”
Wangsta = Wan**r + Gangsta, It’s not dubious meaning.
The Solemn Solitude
- Ketika Waktu Menunjukkan Pukul Nol Posted on: July 29, 2011
- Engkau Menjadi Semua Hal Yang Kau Benci Posted on: July 21, 2011
- Terali Posted on: July 16, 2011
- Pijar Posted on: July 14, 2011
- In the River of Believe Posted on: July 12, 2011
- Di Tepi Sungai Iman Posted on: July 11, 2011
- Tikus Posted on: June 24, 2011
- Arti Posted on: June 23, 2011
- Musabab Kebodohanmu Posted on: June 22, 2011
- Ladang Yang Terbakar Posted on: May 28, 2011
- Selasih Posted on: May 26, 2011
- Segi Tiga Posted on: May 23, 2011
- Sungai Kedengkian Posted on: May 23, 2011
- Engkau Yang Pergi Posted on: May 3, 2011
- Kita Tunggu Cinta Jatuh di Ujung Dunia Posted on: May 2, 2011
- Sangsi Posted on: April 29, 2011
- La Pluie du Matin Posted on: April 28, 2011
- Tanda Centang Posted on: April 27, 2011
- Bahagia Itu... Posted on: April 25, 2011
- Tugu Posted on: April 22, 2011
- Puan Posted on: April 21, 2011
- Rama Obong Posted on: April 20, 2011
- Lagu Rindu Seorang Petualang Posted on: April 19, 2011
- Di Suatu April Pekan Ketiga Posted on: April 18, 2011
- Di Pantaimu Posted on: April 18, 2011